Synopsis of the life of Col R.J.L. Jackson CBE DL. JP.
Born 17th October 1908-Died 19th April 1985.
Place of Birth: The Red House, Albion Terrace, Guisborough.
Education: Scarborough College, Liverpool University- School of Architecture.
Qualifications: Member of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Married: 1935 Londonderry, N.I. - Sara A. Wilson.
Son - John.A L. born 1938, who married Kate Breckon in 1967 at Guisborough.
Daughter Emma born 1970.
Following his attendance at Liverpool University he took up an appointment of a Junior Partner at an architectural practice in Londonderry NI, mainly he said “due to the fact that as a keen fisherman he wanted to explore the rivers and fish for salmon!”
Following his marriage and then death of his father in 1935, he returned to Yorkshire where he built a house, St Columbs, on land owned by The Jackson family adjacent to The Knoll, on the Middlesborough Rd in Guisborough, where he was brought up. At that time he took up an offer of a partnership in Archibolds, Chartered Architects, in Corporation Rd, Middlesborough, at the same time taking his seat as a Director, and then Chairman, in the family owned firm of Wright & Co Ltd, Tower House, Linthorpe Rd, Middlesborough, a directorship he held until his death.
In 1938 he joined the Territorial Army and in 1939 took a Wartime Commission in the Green Howards, where he served in the 6th Bt, firstly in France then in the Middle East, where he fought in the Battle of Alamein and took part in the assault on Sicily after which he returned home to England to train and prepare for the assault on Normandy, Operation Overlord.
The 6th Bat were the assault troops on Gold Beach, were he was wounded and lay up in the sand hills for most of the day and where he was eventually found by a passing American Corpman who took him offshore to a US Navy Ambulance ship that brought him back to England, where he was transferred to a US Casualty Clearing Hospital in Epsom.
From Epson he was transferred to a British Hospital at Thetford and then to Sheffield General Hospital, where they managed to save his badly damaged left leg. He was then transferred to Riverlin Valley Convalescent Hospital in the Derbyshire Dales where he remained for two years until he returned home to Guisborough in 1946.
Following his return to Guisborough he set about fulfilling a promise he made to himself while lying that day on the Normandy Beach, that if he survived he would devote the rest of his life to his fellow man.
Initially, following in his father’s footsteps, he was elected to what was then Guisborough Urban District Council becoming its Chairman. He also was elected to what was then North Riding County Council where his particular interest was Education and Planning and where he served on the committees, for many years, eventually as Chairman of both. He was also the first Chairman of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and finally, as a County Alderman, served two terms as Chairman of The Council.
In addition to his interest in Local Government he was a Magistrate, sitting on the Guisborough Bench for many years as Chairman, Chairman of Guisborough British Legion, a member of the Green Howards Regimental Council and Chairman of the Yorkshire Tourist Authority.
On the 1st of January 1960 he was gazetted an OBE, and on the 1st December 1967 was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of North Yorkshire with The Lord Lieutenant asking him serve also as the Honorary Colonel of The North Riding Army Cadet Force.
During the Sixties he served on a number of Government Committees, including the Defence Lands Commission, and on the 12th June 1971 was elevated in The Order of The British Empire to that of CBE.
With the death of his Mother in 1963, and the subsequent sale of The Knoll, and also having foreseen the major re-organisations that would take place in Local Government in the 60’s, he decided in 1965 to reorganise his life, for whilst he had been working from St Columbs as an architect since his return from The War undertaking private commissions, the quinquennial inspections and supervising of the repairs and restoration of church’s for The York Diocese Board he also undertook the upgrading and modernisation of buildings, nationally, on Race Courses. In 1965 he purchased Bridgeholme at Egton Bridge, on the banks of the River Esk where; following on from his father he was a lifelong member of the Esk Fishery Association, becoming Chairman.
The late 1970’s, due to ill health from his War Wounds, saw him gradually winding down his public commitments and by the beginning of the 80’s he was living quietly in Egton Bridge enjoying the company of his family and friends, his fishing, and visiting local hostelries.